Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Immortals 3D 2011 Review

Immortals 3D 2011

Release Date: November 11th, 2011
Director:  Tarsem Singh
Staring: Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, John Hurt, Freida Pinto and Luke Evans
Time: 1h 50mins


Synopsis:
Theseus is a mortal man chosen by Zeus to lead the fight against the ruthless King Hyperion, who is on a rampage across Greece to obtain a weapon that can destroy humanity. 

Review:  
To start off, I want to talk about the cast. I thought it was very well cast, especially with Mickey Rourke as King Hyperion. You cannot find a more intimidating male to play a veracious, sadistic character. That's my opinion anyway. Mickey can play his roles very well. I'm glad they chose him for this role. Next, is Henry Cavill as Theseus. Before this movie, I haven't really heard of Henry Cavill before this, but I think that played a part in my immediate liking to him. 
Sometimes when I watch a character play such a large role, after being popular in another, I find it less entrancing, but I felt none of that for Theseus. Freida Pinto played the beautiful Oracle, Phaedra. I loved the mysterious, yet sultry way of the Oracle and the high priestesses and Freida definitely fit that description. The only thing that irked me was the scene with her bathing the oil off. She came out of the shower with all her eye shadow and mascara intact. (and there was a good amount of it on her)
Another fantastic, yet surprising character was Luke Evans, who played Zeus. In my eyes Zeus was one of the major players in this movie. The infamous god was brought to the screen well. I would have thought of a more larger, stronger looking male to play the role, but Luke had a air about him that screamed dominance and control, which is really better than a brute male with no brains. Last but not least, the two other Gods who stood out the most were Isabel Lucas as Athena and Kellan Lutz as Poseidon. Isabel, which you may know from Transformers 2, is a gorgeous new actress. She fit the Goddess role of Zeus's daughter well and brought a bit of femininity to the Gods scenes. Kellan Lutz is well known for playing Emmet on Twilight, which is maybe why at first I couldn't take him serious. As I said before, knowing a character previously before a film can kind of ruin your experience of them in another, but Kellan wasn't bad. He played his role well and added a good amount of intensity to the film. When he dropped from the sky into the water, everyone seemed to pause before the hit. I loved that scene.
As the story is told, I was genuinely interested 100% of the time. A friend I seen it with, thought otherwise, saying she tried to understand some parts but once she understood that part, another part confused her. I can honestly say it wasn't her usual type of film, but she enjoyed it none the less.

The best parts of this movie were the gory parts. So much fighting and killing, I felt my adrenaline
on high the whole time. The graphics and stop and speed scenes were incredible. They were made very well in 300, but I thought this movie surpassed that one in almost all ways. Although, I have to admit my for 300 as well.

For the 3D experience. Was it worth it? Definitely. I don't say this often, considering almost every new movie is now out in 3D, but besides Avatar and a few other movies, this is one of my favorites in 3D. Well worth the few extra bucks.

My rating for this movie was simple:

9.5/10

This won't happen often, but I felt it deserved it. I really hope for a sequal. 

What were your thoughts on this movie?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Affiliate Network Reviews